Prenatal Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care during pregnancy is vital to aid in the normal physiological function of both the mother and baby, not only for pregnancy but during birth as well. Benefits:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nervous system, which coordinates all the systems and functions in her body
- Helps to create a state of balance in the pelvic muscles, ligaments, and bony structures, which prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth
- Reduces torsion to the woman’s uterus by removing tension on the ligaments that support the uterus
- Allows for a safer and easier birth for the mother, decreasing the potential for intervention such as inducement or C-section
- Detection , prevention, and correction of fetal malposition (breech and transverse babies)
- Reduction in pelvic and back pain as mom’s body grows with her growing baby
Unfortunately many women don’t realize that there are options to correct several issues that they may be experiencing. Principled Chiropractic care throughout the duration of pregnancy not only relieves common complaints such as low back pain, but structurally aligns the pelvis for both mom and baby to be in perfect position for an optimal birth.
When should you get checked by a chiropractor?
The sooner the better. Chiropractic care can be started as early as preconception to make sure that moms nervous system is functioning at 100% so that her baby may also grow and develop at 100% Its is better to take a proactive approach than a reactive one.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
- of woman had relief of pain 75%
- had shorter labor times during their first pregnancy 25%
- had shorter labor times for multiple pregnancy’s 31%
- resolution of breech positioning 82%
*2002 Study Results
Did you know?
- In a study of 65 women presented at the World Chiropractic Congress, Dr Joan Fallon showed that pregnant mothers under principled chiropractic care from their 10th week of pregnancy until birth experienced
- 24% shorter labor times than average for women in their first pregnancy
- 39% shorter labor times for women who’ve had multiple pregnancies
- Women who exercise and receive chiropractic care during pregnancy enjoy shorter, easier labors (decrease by an average of 2 hours); experience fewer medical interventions (24% fewer cesarean deliveries and 14% reduction in use of forceps); experience less fetal distress; and enjoy a faster recovery. (Pregnancy and Chiropractic a narrative review of the literature by Cara Borggren)
- In a study published in 2002 in the journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 187 surveys were conducted over 1047 chiropractors. They measured the success rate of Webster Technique on removing intrauterine constraint for babies. The results showed 92% resolution of breech presentation! The study also suggests Webster is beneficial in the 8th month of pregnancy when breech presentation is unlikely to spontaneously change and when external cephalic version technique is not effective. In a 2008 study by The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Netherlands found that External Cephalic Version (ECV) is only 58%successful in achieving a head down position.
- It is important to realize that chiropractors are not turning babies or assessing and managing any fetal conditions or positions directly, but rather ensuring balance in a pregnant woman’s body which may result in the fetus achieving an ideal position for birth
At Revolution Chiropractic, we believe that neurologically-based chiropractic care is a necessity for pregnant woman to ensure a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Many mothers seek out specific chiropractors that are trained in the Webster Technique. What is it? It is an analysis and correction of the bony structures, muscles, and ligaments of the pelvis using gentle chiropractic adjustments. No twisting, cracking, or popping at our office! The Webster technique, as defined by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA), is a “specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that reduces interference to the nervous system and balances maternal pelvic muscles and ligaments. This in turn may reduce tension in the mother’s pelvic muscles and ligaments and contribute to optimal fetal positioning in preparation for birth.” Optimal fetal position leads to safer, easier birth and can help mom have the birth story that she’s always desired.
Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic adjustment exclusively for pregnant women. This adjustment promotes proper alignment and function of the hips, spine, muscles, and ligaments. After a Webster Adjustment many women under Dr. Lauren’s care have decreased back pain, breech or posterior positions are resolved and baby turns in the correct direction, and natural labor can start without an induction. The Webster adjustment has been shown to allow the birth process to be easier on mom and her baby. Chiropractic care received before, during, and after pregnancy can reduce uncomfortable pains associated with labor, time of contractions, delivery times, and mothers who have received chiropractic care have said the birth was much less traumatic. Dr. Lauren has performed the Webster adjustment on many, many patients with great success! She has also been trained as a Birth Doula to better help her pregnant patients with optimal breathing techniques and birthing positions.
Nerves and blood-vessels in the low-back region regulate reproductive organs and supply nutrients to the fetus. If you feel as though you have exhausted all of your fertility options, chiropractic care may be the affordable and natural solution that you are searching for. When your spine is in alignment, your body will be free of nerve interference and this allows optimal function pre-conception and reduces chances of infertility.
Benefits prior to pregnancy
- Promotes regular menstrual cycles
- May help optimize uterine function
- Prepares body for healthy implantation
- Ensures proper nerve supply to reproductive organs
Benefits during pregnancy
- Pelvic alignment and balance
- Less back labor
- Reduces need for pain medication
- Less back pain
- Shorter labor times
Benefits after pregnancy
- More comfort while breastfeeding
- Greater production of breastmilk
- Less incidence of postpartum depression
Women who received chiropractic adjustments in their third trimester were able to carry and deliver their child with much more comfort.Irvin Henderson, MD
How much will it cost?
Every person and case is different, it is difficult to be sure how much it will cost before the doctor has had a chance to evaluate you and determine what care, if any, you will need. But we do offer you a consultation, so the doctor can determine the specifics of your case and estimate the costs before you incur any charges.
Do you take insurance?
We offer a complimentary insurance benefits check when you come in for your consultation, so you’ll know exactly what your insurance covers before you incur any charges. Many patients find that our self pay options are even cheaper than their insurance co-pay because of the federal discount program we are part of.
I have X-rays/MRI, should I bring them with me?
Does chiropractic treatment require a referral from an MD?
No referral needed unless you have an HMO. But thats only if you if you go through insurance and our federal discount programs allow you to skip insurance.